|
3/18/2016

Francis Yin
Francis Yin
Administrator

冈萨雷斯访谈:特蕾莎修女的真相

译者: Neo Wang 原作者:Adam Lee

发表时间:2011-12-21

很多人都把特蕾莎修女当作爱的化身,慈善的代名词,因为其在印度从事救助穷人的慈善工作,于1979年获诺贝尔和平奖。然而,慈善与上帝的结合真的那么光明吗?在特蕾莎修女的夺目光辉下,是否还有些不为人知的问题?曾亲身参与仁爱之家的冈萨雷斯会跟我们谈谈他的看法。

[Note: Please welcome Hemley Gonzalez to Daylight Atheism. Hemley is the founder of Responsible Charity, a secular non-profit organization serving the poor of Calcutta, which was a past beneficiary of the Foundation Beyond Belief. In this interview, he discusses his time as a volunteer with Mother Teresa's supposed charitable organization, how he became disillusioned, and how it inspired him to start a better alternative. See also my past post on the same subject. —Adam]

『按:欢迎赫姆利 冈萨雷斯(Hemley Gonzalez)来到“日光无神论”。赫姆利是“责任慈善”的发起人,“责任慈善”作为非宗教背景的公益组织对加尔各答的穷人给予帮助,该组织曾与“超越信仰”基金会合作。在本次采访中,他谈到了他曾作为仁爱之家志愿者的经历,以及他之前的幻想如何破灭,这又如何激励他开创了一个新的事业。也可以参考我以前关于这一主题的文章。——亚当』

You used to be a volunteer with Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity. What originally inspired you to volunteer? What did you think of her back then?

你曾经作为志愿者参与过特蕾莎修女的仁爱传教会(译者注:收容机构也称仁爱之家,两者实为一体)。是什么让你最初决定做一名志愿者?当你从那回来之后你怎样看待特蕾莎修女?

After the real estate market collapse of 2007, I decided to take some time off and get in touch with my compassionate and creative side. In 2008 I took a backpacking trip for several months throughout India. Before leaving the US I had read one of the authorized biographies on Mother Teresa which portrayed the organization as a beacon of hope, and I decided to split my time in India between backpacking and volunteering, giving them two months of my time and energy; it was then that I discovered the serious medical negligence that had been taking place for quite a while inside the organization and began to document and report the abuse I witnessed.

在2007年房地产市场崩盘之后,我决定离开美国一段日子,去重拾自己具有同情心和创造性的那一面。于是我在2008年花了几个月背包穿越了印度,在离开美国之前,我读到了特蕾莎修女的传记,那本书称仁爱之家是人类希望的灯塔,于是我便打算在印度的时候去那里做两个月的志愿者;正是在那段期间,我发现仁爱之家在医疗卫生方面存在严重不负责任的问题,于是我开始记录并报道我所见到的问题。

When did you first start to become disillusioned with her organization? What were some specific things you saw that changed your mind about them?

你从什么时候起对开始对仁爱之家失望的?有哪些你目睹的事情改变了你原来的想法?

It happened almost instantly, literally on my first day volunteering. I was shocked to discover the horrifically negligent manner in which this charity operates and the direct contradiction of the public's general understanding of their work. Workers wash needles under tap water and then reuse them. Medicine and other vital items are stored for months on end, expiring and still applied sporadically to patients. Volunteers with little or no training carry out dangerous work on patients with highly contagious cases of tuberculosis and other life threatening illnesses. The individuals who operate the charity refuse to accept and implement medical equipment and machinery that would safely automate processes and save lives.

几乎从我做志愿者的第一天开始,我的想法便开始转变了。我很惊讶地发现那里的卫生状况存在非常严重的问题,这和公众对其组织的理解大相径庭。工作人员用水龙头冲洗注射针头,然后再次使用。医药与其他重要设备一连数月地储藏起来,哪怕已经失效仍时不时用在病人身上。几乎未接受任何培训的志愿者一样会接触患有肺结核等传染病的病人,而负责人还拒绝接受和使用医疗设备来让工作更安全并挽救更多的生命。

What, if anything, did you learn subsequently that cemented your opinion?

那后来你是否又发现了一些可以印证你想法的事情呢?

After further investigation and research, I realized that all of the events I had witnessed amounted to nothing more than a systematic human rights violation and a financial scam of monumental proportions. Not once in its sixty-year history have the Missionaries of Charity reported the total amount of funds they've collected in donations, what percentage they use for administration and where the rest has been applied and how. Since its inception, defectors of the organization and other journalists have placed the figure upwards of one billion dollars (and counting). The mission currently operates over 700 homes and maintains an average of 4,000 workers while consistently failing to provide statistics on the efficacy of their work.

在进一步的调查与研究之后,我意识到,我所目睹到的其实是系统地违背人权和巨额的诈骗。在仁爱之家过去六十年的历史中,它没有报告过一次它筹集到的善款总额,行政管理费的比例,余款的使用。一些退出仁爱之家的前工作人员和记者表示,筹集的善款总计可能超过十亿美元。目前已有超过700家仁爱之家,平均有4000名工作人员,但是仍未能提供任何有关工作成果的数据统计。

What have you done to publicize your views about Teresa's organization since then? Has there been any kind of response?

在从那之后,你提出了哪些关于仁爱传教会的看法?她们有所回应吗?

When I returned home, I immediately began speaking up about all the negligence I had witnessed; I created a Facebook page so I could post the photos and notes of all that I documented during my time there and within months I was contacted by FORBES-India, who interviewed me last year and published a serious article pertaining the monumental medical negligence of this organization and as a result "the home of the dying" was immediately closed for "renovations" after the national circulation of the article.

我一回到家,便开始对外公布我所了解到的真相。我创建了一个脸书页面,分享我在仁爱之家拍到的照片和了解到的情况,没过多久,《福布斯印度》联系并采访了我,就在去年他们刊登了这篇关于仁爱之家医疗卫生问题的报道,这篇报道在印度登出之后,“死亡之家”便立即关闭进行“整修”。

Here's the link to the article: http://business.in.com/article/on-assignment/mother-teresas-legacy-is-under-a-cloud/15932/1

《福布斯印度》的文章

And the link to Kalighat before: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=34732&id=181945775180506

我建立的脸书页面

And the link to a photo album of Kalighat now closed: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=34795&id=181945775180506

照片:加尔各答关闭的仁爱之家

And a video of the now defunct facility:

视频:关闭的仁爱之家

What would you advise atheists to say when confronted by people who hold up Mother Teresa as a model of virtue?

面对将特蕾莎修女当作道德模范的人们,你觉得作为一个无神论者,应该跟他们怎么讲?

Regardless of your personal beliefs; adoration of suffering, medical negligence and financial fraud are human right violations.

把信仰放在一边;教导忍受苦难,医疗事故,财务欺诈,这些都显然违背了人权。

Mother Teresa's was NO ONE'S mother. This supposedly celibate nun's name was Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu, an Albanian native who lived most of her life without speaking to her own family and proselytizing her religion under the disguise of charity. There is absolutely nothing normal or "saintly" about this.

特蕾莎修女(Mother Teresa)不是任何人的母亲,这不过是她的教名。她的本名叫做艾格尼丝 刚察 博亚丘,是一个阿尔巴尼亚人,她很少谈及她的童年生活,在慈善的伪装下进行传教。这看上去既不太正常也不“圣洁”。

Standing firm against planned parenthood, modernization of equipment, and a myriad of other solution-based initiatives, Mother Teresa was not a friend of the poor but rather a promoter of poverty.

她坚决抵制计划生育,拒绝使用现代仪器,排斥了无数包含解决方案的提议。特蕾莎修女更像是一个贫穷的推动者,而非穷人的朋友。

It was Mother Teresa's own admission during an interview that more than 23,000 people had died in the halls of the particular home I had worked in, as if boasting at the figure and missing entirely the point of the enormous compilation of unnecessary deaths.

特蕾莎修女曾在采访中亲口承认,在加尔各答的收容所有超过23,000人在那儿死去,这个数据好像有些夸大,而且完全忽视了其中包含的不必要的死亡。

Mother Teresa also repeatedly admitted that she was not a social worker, and her followers continue to assert the same to this day. So under what motives do they tend to the poor, you may ask? The mantra of the operation rests solely on the belief that suffering and poverty are ways of loving God, a seriously troubling statement to say the least.

特蕾莎修女自己也反复强调她并不是一个社会工作者,她的追随者也同样强调。那么你或许会问,她帮助穷人的动机究竟是什么呢?这一切行动都只是基于她的信仰:苦难和贫穷乃爱上帝之道,这是一个令人不安的声明。

How would you describe your personal beliefs today?

那么你怎样形容你的个人信仰?

Disgusted and disappointed by my experience with the Missionaries of Charity, I began working in the slums alongside other friends and volunteers who also felt their efforts were positively and effectively changing the lives of those disadvantaged families we came into contact with.

在仁爱传教会带给我的失望与气愤之后,我开始同其他朋友和志愿者在印度贫民区展开工作,我们有一个共同的信念,相信我们的努力能够真正并有效地帮助到那些贫困家庭。

After returning home, I began a campaign to raise awareness about the issues I experienced and the challenges the children of the Park Circus face daily, and thus Responsible Charity was born. Through a homegrown network of friends, family and volunteers in different regions of the world we are now beginning to gather donations which we can track and report on our website and show exactly the progress and help such funds allow us to administered to those in need.

回到美国之后,我发起了一项运动来提醒人们关注我所了解到的问题,关注那些贫苦孩子每天都要面对的挑战,“责任慈善”便因此诞生了。依靠我家乡的朋友圈,我的家庭,以及世界各地的志愿者,我们开始筹集捐助,通过网站公布资金的流向与进程,确保帮助到那些真正贫困的人。

Unlike some religious-based organizations which have no progressive plans in effect to educate and empower the children, women and men out of poverty, Responsible Charity would like to make advances in areas of education, planned parenthood and self employment.

与一些宗教背景的组织不同,它们忽视鼓励和教导人们脱离贫困,“责任慈善”则更乐意支持教育,计划生育和个体经营这些脱贫的有效手段。

I returned to Kolkata at the beginning of December last year. I felt a bit overwhelmed with the amount of necessity and tasks which Responsible Charity needed to take on to truly make a difference in the lives of several families in a slum in the City of Joy. But after a few days and a slow but sure readjustment to the pollution, weather and constant noise, things started to become clearer.

我于去年十二月初重返加尔各答,由于“责任慈善”需要采取确实有效的行动来让贫民窟家庭的生活真正得到改善,任务的繁重与紧迫性压得我有点透不过气来。在经过一段对污染、天气、持续的噪音的缓慢适应之后,工作开始步入正轨。

In the last 10 months, we have been able to gather a great wave of support from freethinkers, atheists and just plain compassionate human beings from around the world thus bringing their attention to the conditions on the ground for some of the children and their parents.

在过去的十个月里,我们得以集合了来自世界各地热心人士的支持,包括自由思想家、无神论者以及怀着朴素的同情心的人们,我们令人们真正关注儿童及其家人的基本生活条件。

There are a lot more details than what I've listed below, please browse the albums on our Facebook page where we document our work and feel free to add and choose any of the tasks we've performed over the last 10 months.

除我下面所列的工作清单之外,在脸书的页面里,你也可以看到更多关于我们工作的细节。

Here's a quick list of all that we've accomplished thus far:

下面是一个简化的关于我们完成的工作的清单:

Nine homes totally rebuilt, each for a family in dire need of better housing

1、为9户急需改善住房条件的家庭翻修房屋;

Weekly milk delivery program for 12-15 babies and or toddlers

2、针对12-15名婴幼儿的每周牛奶供应;

Weekly adult milk delivery program

3、针对成人的每周牛奶供应;

Cover the cost of a birth and every necessary item associated with the new baby

4、承担新生儿接生及相关费用;

Began a monthly salary program with a mother to allow her daughter to go to school

5、每月为一个母亲提供支付其女儿上学的费用;

Lice treatments on an ongoing basis

6、持续的虱子治理;

Donated a dozens of bags of clothes given to us by tourist and other local charities

7、捐赠几十袋由游客及当地慈善组织提供的衣物;

Hired a nurse to come to the slums on a weekly basis and address health issues head on with all the members of the families we are helping.

8、雇用了一个护士每周到贫民窟接受我们帮助的家庭解决健康问题;

Have bought and distributed scores of necessary medicines and vitamins and continue to do so

9、购买并发放必需的药品和维生素;

Held a huge end-of-the-year party for about 100 people living in the slum, complete with a hearty mean and a ton of gifts and toys for 12 families.

10、年末在贫民窟举办了一场约有100人参与的晚会,为12个家庭赠送了礼物;

Bi-weekly hygienic program instituted, delivering toothpaste, shampoo and soap to now 24 families totalling over 130 children, men and women.

11、两周一次的卫生项目,为24个家庭计130人提供牙膏、洗发水、肥皂;

Blood, urine and stool tests for several members of several families

12、为若干家庭成员进行了血液、尿液、粪便检查;

X rays and Tuberculosis assessments for three individuals + ongoing treatment for one.

13、为3人进行了X光和肺结核检查,其中一人继续接受治疗;

Daily cures of dressing and other minor health items

14、针对轻度疾病的医疗援助;

Bought several stoves and fans for families

15、为一些家庭购置了炉子和风扇;

New prescription glasses for two mothers

16、为两个母亲配了新眼镜;

Had several volunteers come through and witness first hand our work on the ground.

17、安排部分志愿者实地考察了我们的工作;

Collaboration with "Gimme Shelter India" and donating medicine and several medical items we have not had a use for.

18、向印度“给我庇护”组织捐赠了一些我们用不到的药品和设备;

Attended meetings for future collaboration with other secular and local charities.

19、参加了和其他非宗教的和当地的慈善组织商讨未来合作的会议;

Weeks of fruit purchases for a re-sale program initiative with one of the families.

20、为一个尝试水果零售的家庭采购水果;

Have begun to create digital records for 24 families

21、用数码相机记录了24个家庭;

Took 15 children on an unforgettable excursion to a theme park

22、带领15个孩子进行了一次难忘的主题公园之行;

Placed 12 children in school and now looking to do the same for several others

23、安排12个孩子上学;

Built a kitchen for a school which educates 200 children daily

24、为一个有200名学生的学校建了食堂;

Co-hosted an annual festival at another school which educates 150 children daily

25、与另一所有150名学生的学校合作庆祝节日;

Donated a year's worth of books to the same school above for 150 children

26、为该校捐赠了足供一年使用的图书。

Hemley Gonzalez, Founder & CEO

赫姆利冈 萨雷斯,发起人&CEO

Responsible Charity, Corp

责任慈善

http://www.responsiblecharity.org

http://www.responsiblecharity.org

http://www.facebook.com/responsiblecharity
0 固定链接
|